Match Report

FC Halifax Town 0-2 Aldershot Town



FC Halifax



Aldershot Town’s eighth-annual Tour of Duty saw a battling performance earn a fine victory at The Shay.

Second-half goals for Jim Stevenson and Rhys Browne capped a solid display full of fighting qualities as The Shots deservedly won all three points.

halifax v atfc o
halifax v atfc p
halifax v atfc q
halifax v atfc r
halifax v atfc s
halifax v atfc t
halifax v atfc u
halifax v atfc v
halifax v atfc w
halifax v atfc web 1
halifax v atfc web 2
halifax v atfc web 3
halifax v atfc web 5
halifax v atfc web 6 (1)
halifax v atfc web 6
halifax v atfc web 8
halifax v atfc x
halifax v atfc y
halifax v atfc a
halifax v atfc b
halifax v atfc c
halifax v atfc d
halifax v atfc e
halifax v atfc f
halifax v atfc h
halifax v atfc i
halifax v atfc j
halifax v atfc k
halifax v atfc l
halifax v atfc m
halifax v atfc n


FC Halifax struggled to create clear-cut chances against a defence featuring Chris Barker making just his second appearance of the season, and goalkeeper Dan Thomas in his first start since September. The hosts were largely restricted to wayward long-range efforts and set-pieces, but still the Shots had to stand strong in a tight first-half.

However, within sixty seconds of the re-start, Rhys Browne recycled his own corner and supplied a teasing, inswinging cross which Jim Stevenson threw himself at to nod in at the far-post.

Johnson produced a fine save to parry Charlie Walker’s free-kick on 51 minutes and Browne perhaps should have done better with an angled shot as Walker waited in space for a pass. Halifax, though, were building a head of steam into the final ten minutes when Browne sealed victory for The Shots.

Waker and Ralph combined to set the latter breaking into the box and when a challenge came in before he could shoot, the ball fell to Browne, who drove inside, skipped past a tackle and rifled a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Aldershot Town had to survive the final stages without captain Sean McGinty, who dislocated his shoulder in rising with James Bolton to meet a deep cross, and as seven minutes of injury-time began, substitute Alfie Pavey was also carried off after falling awkwardly challenging for another defensive header.

Thomas dived to save Bolton’s glancing header on the line, Hughes hit a dipping shot which Thomas was equal to, and then, in the final minute of injury-time, the goalkeeper was quick off his line to smother Shaq McDonald’s close-range effort.

Eventually, the final whistle confirmed an excellent win, which took The Shots above the crucial 50 point mark and secured another successful Tour of Duty. Mission Accomplished!