Match Report

Aldershot Town 1-0 Welling United






Richard Brodie’s 99th Conference goal illuminated a resurgent second-half display from The Shots as they ground out a win which lifts them to 12th in the National League table.

atfc v welling web 1
atfc v welling web m
atfc v welling web l
atfc v welling web k
atfc v welling web j
atfc v welling web i
atfc v welling web h
atfc v welling web g
atfc v welling web f
atfc v welling web d
atfc v welling web c
atfc v welling web b
atfc v welling web a
atfc v welling web 3 (2)
atfc v welling web 2 (1)
atfc v welling hosp 2
atfc v welling web 4
atfc v welling web 3 (1)
atfc v welling web 2
atfc v welling web 3
atfc v welling web 2
atfc v welling web 3
atfc v welling web 3
atfc v welling web 4

Brodie struck in the 49th minute of a tight game, latching onto Dan Thomas’s long clearance and looping a 25 yard shot – possibly with the aid of a deflection – over Wings goalkeeper Mike McEntegart.

Ultimately, it was the reward The Shots deserved after the team responded to Barry Smith’s half-time call to increase the tempo of their play. By the final whistle the win could have been by a greater margin, but just as pleasing was a third clean sheet of the season for a back four which contained Welling United with relative ease despite missing both Phil Smith and Luke Oliver.

Jack Saville was a stylish replacement at centre-back, and Thomas again impressed, particularly with a first minute save, at point-blank range, as Obafemi met Vidal’s teasing cross with a strong header.

On 11 minutes, Hatton’s own dangerous free-kick was tipped behind for a corner and in the resulting period of pressure, both Charlie Walker and Jim Stevenson had shots charged down.

Walker then had another drive swerve past the post, whilst in response George Porter had a long-range shot blocked by Stevenson. The former Luton midfielder was at the heart of all of The Shots’ good work, and soon saw a diving header deflected narrowly over the crossbar from Hatton’s cross and then had another shot crash into a defender.

However, once Brodie had given The Shots a 49th minute lead, they never looked back. Walker shot across the face of goal and both he and Rhys Browne were denied in the same 70th minute counter attack.

Barney Williams’ second yellow card, for a foul on lively substitute Dan Walker, reduced Welling to ten men for the final eight minutes, and their best opportunity for an equaliser came in the third minute of stoppage time, but Chambers mis-timed his jump towards Wellard’s free-kick and spurned the chance of a free header on goal.

ATFC: Thomas; Alexander, Beckles, Saville, Anderton; Hatton, Gallagher, Stevenson, Browne (D Walker 79); C Walker, Brodie (Barnes-Homer 78). Subs not used: Lathrope, C Harris, Dawber

WUFC: McEntegart, Jefford, Chambers, Porter, Lee (Nortey 88), Obafemi (Adeyinka 54), Lokko, Corne, R Harris, Williams, Vidal (Wellard 68). Subs not used: Taylor, King

Att.: 1256 (34 away)

atfc v welling web 3

atfc v welling web 3

atfc v welling web 2