MATCH REPORT: Barnet 4-1 Shots

The Shots suffered a heavy defeat in the capital as they suffered a third defeat in a week with a 4-1 loss to Barnet.

Aldershot made two changes to the side that suffered defeat in Dagenham on Tuesday with Corey Jordan and Henry Ochieng replacing Justin Amaluzor and Karoy Anderson.

It took more than 10 minutes for either side to have a shot on goal but Barnet were the first and hit the post on their first attempt. A Ryan De Havilland free-kick left the frame of the goal shaking.

But, just a minute later, the home side were rewarded on their second attempt. Luca Ashby-Hammond punched clear a long ball into his box but only as far as Harry Pritchard whose first-time effort from outside the box put his side into an early lead.

The Shots’ first effort on goal came via Henry Ochieng on his first start but trying his luck from around 30 yards, he didn’t connect well and saw his effort drift high and wide.

Barnet were certainly the stronger side during the first-third of the game and came close with two headers. Harry Smith saw his flicked-on header narrowly over the bar, before Pritchard was denied a second goal by a good save low-down from Ashby-Hammond.


The Shots had some work and improvement to do in the second-half but started the half brightly as they looked to get back into the game and as the game approached the hour marlk, they got their equaliser.

Haji Mnoga drove down the left flank and cut inside leaving his defender on the floor, his centre was deflected to Ryan Glover whose powerful shot was too much for Laurie Walker who could only parry it into the top corner.

But, that was as good as things got for Aldershot this afternoon as Barnet – more clinical and comfortable in possession – then ran away with the game.

Just five minutes after The Shots’ equaliser a deep cross from the right-wing was headed home by Harry Smith at the far-post to regain his side’s advantage.

A well built-up move by Aldershot which led to Josh mcQuoid seeing a shot from outside the box saved, inspired hope that there was still fight left in The Shots but just a minute later, the hosts had a third.

Idris Kanu got on the end of a long ball forward and controlling the ball well, slotted his shot under Ashby-Hammond.

Joe Partington came close with a placed-effort from outside the box as the game entered the final stages but as with the previous second-half goals, just as Aldershot looked lively, Barnet brought them back down to earth.

Courtney Senior came on as a sub and immediately ran into The Shots box to score his side’s fourth and put the game to bed with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Shots lineup: 1 Luca Ashby-Hammond, 3. Ollie Harfield (27. Tommy Willard 23′), 4. Joe Partington (c), 5. Tyler Cordner, 8. Tyler Frost, 16. Corey Jordan, 17. Jake Hutchinson 929. Morgan Roberts 86′), 18. Henry Ochieng (10. Josh McQuoid 57′), 19. Oliver Pendlebury, 22. Haji Mnoga, 23. Ryan Glover. Subs not used: 15. Karoy Anderson, 20. Michael Klass.