MATCH REPORT: Barnet 2 Aldershot Town 0

Aldershot Town returned back to North Hampshire with a two goal deficit after Barnet FC took all three points in a 2-0 win at the HIVE Stadium. 

On the back of their win against Stockport County on Saturday, the Shots were looking to build on their campaign.

However, a slick 25-yard SCREAMER from Wesley Fongock and a top corner strike from Ephron Mason-Clark denied Danny Searle’s side from another victory.

Both sides were equal with their chances in the first half. Ethan Chislett troubled the London-side with a double attempt, the first blocked before the followup saved by Scott Loach.

Mitch Walker denied Fongock twice with two crucial blocks towards the 30 minute mark. His first strike was a through-ball from Ephron Mason-Clark, which followed a low, curved path towards the former Dover keeper. Just moments later Fongock’s second forced Walker to hurriedly clear it once again.

Both sides returned to the second half with an eagerness to win. Barnet took the lead shortly into the second half, courtesy of Mason-Clark, when Charlie Adams fed the forward through on goal and drove it into the top corner.

The Shots had a chance to equalise after Cheye Alexander gifted the visitors a free-kick, yet Jack Powell’s strike flew just wide of the near post.

Fongock finally found himself on the scoresheet in the 56th minute and in relatively spectacular fashion when his 25-yard ball curled into the top corner.

With just under 25 minutes to go, the Shots pressed on to claw one back and Harry Panayiotou had the perfect opportunity with acres in the box, yet a rushed decision left his attempted aim far too wide of the post.

The Bees’ had further opportunity to increase their lead when Fonguck’s ball bounced off the crossbar following Simeon Akinola saved attempt.

It was another disappointing outcome for the Shots as they failed to make a comeback in the second half. Next up they face Wrexham at the EBB Stadium on Saturday, 21st September.

Barnet: 1 S Loach (G/K), 2 C Alexander, 4 C Reynolds (C), 5 R Santos, 11 D Sparkes  7 J Taylor, 8 C Adams, 14 S Akinola, 18 W Fonguck, 22 J Walker (Pavey 45′), 27 E Mason-Clark (Vasiliou 87′)

Subs not used: Matrevics, Rowan, Hernandez

Aldershot Town: 1 M Walker (G/K), 2 R Tinkler (C), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 25 M Hunt, 3 L Kinsella, 34 J Powell, 7 A Santos (Whittingham 66′), 20 E Chislett, 29 A Fletcher (Eyoma 66′), 10 C Shields, 11 H Panayiotou (Mullings 78′)

Subs not used: Fowler, Kudyiwa