MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 2 Bromley FC 3 (H) (Vanarama National League)

Despite leading twice in the first half, Aldershot Town were defeated 3-2 at home by Bromley.

Aldershot Town made two changes from the starting XI that faced Bowers & Pitsea in the FA Cup, with Scott Wagstaff coming in for Alfy Whittingham and earning his first start for the Shots, and Ryan Glover making his debut after signing in midweek, replacing Corie Andrews. Two other new signings were also named on the bench, with those being defender Corey Jordan and forward Gime Toure.

The deadlock was broken in just the fourth minute, as a great move saw Glover’s pass find Mikael Ndjoli, and his powerful left footed strike from just inside the area found the bottom corner of the goal

The Shots were then awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position, but Bettamer’s shot sailed over the bar, not troubling Cousins between the sticks.

But just before the ten minute mark, Bromley grabbed themselves an equaliser, with Alexander’s effort from close range finding the back of the net.

After these two early goals, the game started to settle, with a few dangerous Aldershot Town crosses being delivered over the next ten minutes, none of which were met by a Shots player in the penalty area.

Bromley had a good chance from a cross themselves in the 23rd minute, with a corner finding the head of Sowumni, but his header went just over the bar.

Three minutes later, the Shots regained the lead, and it was captain Lewis Kinsella who scored his first goal for the club. After picking up the ball on the left-hand side from winger Glover, the full-back unleashed a low-driven effort from 25 yards out, and his strike bounced off the post and in.

On the half hour mark, the visitors almost levelled it once again, but a great goal line clearance from Oxlade-Chamberlain saw the danger cleared away.

Three minutes later, Bromley did get an equaliser for the second time of the afternoon. A corner was delivered and Walker’s attempted punch clear bounced off the near post and into his own net.

With five minutes to go in the half, the Ravens almost got themselves in front, after Corey Whitely cut inside and had a shot at goal, but his deflected effort went wide for a corner which resulted in nothing, and it saw an action-packed first 45 minutes come to an end.

The second half started with multiple efforts inside the first five minutes.

The first was in the favour of Bromley. A corner came in and after a scramble in the box, the headed effort was simple for Walker to gather.

But then it was the turn of the Shots, who had three great efforts in quick succession. The first was a low shot from Vennings from a tight angle, but it was simple enough to deal with for Cousins in goal.

Ndjoli then had a chance to get his second of the game, but some good defending by the visitors denied his shot.

The third effort was the best of the lot, and it was once again Mikael Ndjoli who nearly gave his side the lead, but his brilliant curling effort was acrobatically tipped over the bar, and Bettamer’s header from the resulting corner went wide.

Ndjoli then had another shot at goal in the 54th minute, once again from outside the area, but this time he dragged his effort wide of the mark.

On the hour mark, Bromley had a chance against the run of play, but Sowunmi, who already had a header that narrowly missed the mark, once again couldn’t find the target.

Five minutes later, the away side were given a penalty after a handball from Wagstaff, and Michael Cheek stepped up and converted from 12 yards.

The Shots almost drew level two minutes later, but Kinsella’s low driven cross deflected into the side netting and the corner came to nothing.

With just over 15 minutes to go, Kinsella put a dangerous ball across goal, but it was just ahead of substitute Ibby Akanbi who couldn’t quite get a touch on it.

Aldershot Town continued to look for an equaliser, with Vennings trying his luck from distance, but his shot went just wide of goal.

The Ravens had a chance to seal it in the 90th minute after Luke Coulson found himself through on goal, but great defending from Phillips saw the shot blocked.

And in the final minute, Bromley once again had another opportunity, and again it was blocked by a Shots defender.

Despite two brilliant goals and many efforts, Aldershot Town couldn’t find the decisive goal that would’ve seen them pick up their first point at home this season. The Shots are next in action on Tuesday evening, when Weymouth visit The EBB Stadium.

Aldershot Town FC: 1 M Walker (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 4 S Wagstaff (C Jordan 72’), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 8 T Edser, 9 M Bettamer (G Toure 61’), 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 14 R Glover, 20 M Ndjoli (I Akanbi 72’), 22 G Phillips, 24 J Vennings

Unused Subs: 31 C Coulter (G/K), 7 A Whittingham


Bromley FC: 1 M Cousins (G/K), 4 B Bingham, 5 C Bush, 6 O Sowunmi, 7 L Coulson, 9 M Cheek (L Dennis 81’), 16 L Trotter, 17 B Webster (C), 18 C Whitely, 22 G Alexander (J Alabi 63’), 24 M Sablier (J Arthurs 52’)

Unused Subs: 2 J Partington, 19 H Forster