Match Report

Wrexham 2-0 Aldershot Town






Wrexham 2-0 Aldershot Town

Aldershot’s misery on the road continued this season as they were beaten 2-0 by league leaders Wrexham in North Wales. A controversial opener was nodded in by Stuart Beavon midway through the second half with Jordan Maguire-Drew sealing the victory late on.

Gary Waddock named an unchanged eleven from the side that beat Sutton United on August Bank Holiday Monday with the Shots starting the brightest of the two sides.

Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong almost added to his first goal of the season from Monday’s win only for Mark Carrington to deny him with a crucial block just five minutes in after Luke Howell’s shot deflected into the winger’s path.

The hosts were a threat from set pieces the entire afternoon and hit the post on 18 minutes when Shaun Pearson’s header from a corner came off the woodwork, although Regan Booty probably had it covered on the line.

In a subdued first half the hosts almost snatched a lead before the break. Shots last man Josh Lelan lost the ball to Mike Fondop allowing the striker a clear run at goal, only for Jake Cole to rush out and deny the forward with his arm.

Aldershot enjoyed a bright start to the second half with Berkeley-Agyepong latching onto Scott Rendell’s ricocheted effort. Rob Lainton got an arm to the shot as the ball bobbled in front of the goal line before Carrington cleared.

On his 500th professional appearance it was Rendell who went even closer a minute later. Adam McDonnell whipped a cross in for the forward who had the freedom of Wales inside the area, but he hit his header straight into the arms of Lainton.

However, Wrexham snatched the lead on the 63rd minute in controversial circumstances. Luke Summerfield’s corner was met by the unchallenged head of Stuart Beavon. As Wrexham celebrated, Rendell was incensed with the referee, claiming the whistle wasn’t blown for the corner to be taken. This resulted in the forward and Assistant Manager James Rowe both receiving yellow cards.

Maguire-Drew gave the Shots defence a warning shortly after, when he played an intricate one-two with Beavon to break behind the Shots backline, however Howell quickly recovered to block it.

The young winger did grab his goal with 12 minutes to spare. A deep free-kick from Kevin Roberts seemed to be drifting out of play, but Maguire-Drew refused to give up on it and beat Lewis Kinsella and Cole to it at the far post as the ball just trickled past the keeper and over the line.

The Shots kept at it, though. Rendell went close again after a quick throw-in routine from Kinsella and Dan Holman caught the Wrexham defence off-guard. Holman crossed for Rendell but he couldn’t get a clean connection with the goal gaping and Lainton collected with ease.

Substitute James Rowe beat Lainton in injury time with a crossing free-kick but the keeper was bailed out by Akil Wright who headed over his own goal.

ALDERSHOT TOWN: Cole, Bernard, Lelan, Fowler, Kinsella, McDonnell, Howell, Booty (Rowe 66), Wanadio (Fenelon 70), Rendell, Berkeley-Agyepong (Holman 77).

Subs not used: Gallagher, Smith

By Chris Woods