MATCH REPORT: Yeovil Town 0 Aldershot Town 2 (A)

Aldershot Town made it back-to-back victories with a 2-0 away victory against Yeovil Town with goals from Giles Phillips and Ryan Glover sealing the win.

The Shots made just change to the side that were victorious last time out in the 2-1 home victory against Boreham Wood.

Ethan Ross returned his injury quicker than first expected and immediately into the Aldershot Town starting line-up, with young shot-stopper Ryan Hall returning to the Shots bench alongside the returning Ryan Glover who returned from illness.

Other than this, it was an unchanged Shots matchday squad that were looking to a similar performance to last Saturday’s victory.

It was a bright start from Aldershot Town as they looked to take the initiative in the game, with an early corner routine almost falling kindly to Alfie Saunders on the edge of the Yeovil Town penalty area, but a Glovers’ defender was on hand to clear the ball away in the nick of time.

However, the home side responded with a good opportunity of their own with winger Tom Knowles driving forwards on their right-hand side and firing a close-range effort onto the near post with just six minutes on the clock.

After this, The Shots looked to create opportunities from counter-attacks that unfortunately didn’t materialise in the first-half as Yeovil had their best spell of the game so far, with a number of long-range efforts and corners threatening the Aldershot Town goal, but The Shots held firm to their first-half pressure.

A couple of late free-kicks from Yeovil Town looked to threaten but neither side were able to break the deadlock, leaving both sides eager to take the lead in the game.

It was Yeovil who started the brighter of the two sides in the second-half, with early chances for the likes of Gorman and Knowles well-defended by Aldershot Town.

In The Shots’ first opportunity to come forward in the second-half, they would also take the lead after sharp play from Ndjoli won the away side a free-kick inside the Yeovil Town half.

Captain Lewis Kinsella came over to take the free-kick before whipping in a brilliant cross to pick out Giles Phillips at the back post, whose powerful header found the back of the net from close range in the 65th minute.

Showing their clinical edge to take the lead in the game, The Shots would soon double their lead with another quick counter-attack that saw recent substitute Ryan Glover find the back on the net five minutes later.

A ball over-the-top from the right was not given up on by Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain, who showed the composure needed to pick out Glover in the Glovers’ penalty area and smashed home a quick fire second in the 70th minute.

For the remaining time of the second-half, Aldershot Town looked to their defensive players to see out the victory and also an important clean sheet away from home.

Numerous chances came in for Yeovil late on in the game as they looked to respond to the two brilliant goals from The Shots, but a tremendous performance late on gave Aldershot Town all three points and a clean sheet to take back to Hampshire with them.

With almost the last kick of the game, goal-scorer Ryan Glover was sent off for a second bookable offence, meaning he will miss the next game for Aldershot Town in the Vanarama National League.

Aldershot Town are next in action on Easter Monday as they looked to continue their recent good form, when they host Dagenham & Redbridge back at The EBB Stadium.

Yeovil Town FC: 1 M Smith (G/K), 2 M Little (Yussuf 82′), 3 J Barnett, 6 L Wilkinson (C), 8 D Gorman, 9 R Reid, 11 T Knowles, 14 A Bradley (D’Ath 71′), 15 S-B Lo-Everton, 22 B Barclay, 30 J Neufville (Wakefield 64′)

Unused Subs: 5 M Hunt, 13 M Williams

Aldershot Town FC: 24 E Ross (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C) (Daniel 81′), 6 Kodi Lyons-Foster, 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 18 M Sylla, 20 M Ndjoli (Whittingham 89′), 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris, 26 A Saunders, 27 T Willard (Glover 58′)

Unused Subs: 13 R Hall (G/K), 9 M Bettamer