MATCH REPORT: Woking 4-1 Shots

Aldershot’s visit to the Laithwaite Community Stadium ended in defeat, with a first half brace from Rhys Browne followed by two quickfire second half strikes by Jim Kellermann and Padraig Amond to give Darren Sarll’s Woking all three points.

Amidst defeat, the 1,142 travelling Shots were given something to cheer in the first half, with former Cardinal Inih Effiong scoring on his return to Woking in the 40th minute.

Woking made use of their home advantage early on, taking the lead after just 2 minutes. A mistimed Tyler Cordner header left Padraig Amond and Rhys Browne 2 on 2 against the Shots defence, with the latter finding himself in the box, lifting the ball over Ashby-Hammond to give Woking the lead.

After a slow start, the Shots began to grow into the game, and were beginning to control possession with 15 minutes on the clock. Despite all the ball, Woking were keeping the Shots out well, with the best chance to reply coming after Justin Amaluzor saw a shot deflected off McNerney for a throw in.

Shots had a good chance to level the game in the 24th minute, with a succession of failed crosses falling to Justin Amaluzor, who drove at the Woking defence and played a 1-2 with Tyler Cordner, but Amaluzor fell over the ball before he could get a shot away.

Amaluzor was the man getting in good areas, and just after the half hour mark he got Shots best chance to level the game. Ryan Glover did well to find space down the Woking left, and fizzed a ball across the box which found Amaluzor, and after adjusting his feet, the winger fired over.

Just a few moments later Aldershot had another good chance to level the game, after a keeper error found Justin Amaluzor in some space behind the Woking defence. However, it came to nothing again, with Amaluzor and Effiong coming up empty in the Woking box, before Michael Klass’s deflected shot lead to a cross straight at Craig Ross from Ryan Glover.

It finally fell for the Shots, and it had to be that man, Inih Effiong. At his former stomping ground, Effiong got on the end of a through ball from Amaluzor, worked his way into the box and got into a golden shooting position, and got the ball down low, too low for Craig Ross in the Woking goal, giving the Shots the goal they deserved.

Despite the game being very even, the Shots would go into the break undeservedly behind. Woking ended the half the strongest, and an Inih Effiong challenge on Jim Kellermann gave Woking a penalty right at the end of additional time. Rhys Browne stepped up, and scored his second penalty in as many game to give Woking a 2-1 lead going into the interval.

HALF TIME: Woking 2-1 Aldershot

Woking again came out of the blocks quicker than Aldershot in the second 45, with another former Shot Jim Kellermann getting on the scoresheet to make it 3-1. The game all but fell away from Aldershot just moments later, as Luca Ashby-Hammond failed to clear his lines straight from kick off, and gave Padraig Amond the easiest goal he’s likely to ever score, making the score 4-1 to Woking.

There were a couple of sighters in the second half to get Shots back into the game. The first came from Frank Vincent, who hit low driven shot straight at Ross in the Woking goal. The second came after Harry Panayiotou got on the end of a Inih Effiong header down, volleying just wide of the Woking goal.

Much like Boxing day, Woking were reduced to 10 men, with Jermaine Anderson being given a straight red after a late challenge in the 74th minute.

Shots held the ball well with the man advantage, and came closest to scoring in the dying moments when Giles Phillips headed onto the crossbar, but the Shots were unable to find a reply to the pair of quick second half Woking goals, meaning the hosts took all the points.

Aldershot now turn attention to National League leaders Notts County at the EBB next Saturday.