MATCH REPORT: Solihull Moors 2 Aldershot Town 1 (A)

Aldershot Town were defeated to an in-form Solihull Moors with a goal from Joe Sbarra and Danny Newton cancelling out a late Lewis Kinsella strike.

The Shots remained unchanged for the third game running, with the bench also kept the same from the Easter Monday defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge, as returning Jordan Ngalo kept his place in the matchday squad for the second game running.

It was an even start to the game, with The Shots creating an early opportunity in the third minute with a high press allowing Jayden Harris to intercept before setting up Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain who looked to cross for Tommy Willard but an impressive late block by full-back James Clarke turning the ball away.

Following this chance for Aldershot Town, Solihull started to come forward and have their best chance of the game so far nine minutes later, with the ball worked well down the left before finding its way to Danny Newton, who could only guide his close-range effort way over the bar.

Solihull had the upper hand midway through the first-half but The Shots created another opening to score, with Mikael Ndjoli and Harris linking up well down the left before looking for Willard at the back post, but he can’t reach the cross before the home side clear the danger.

Despite this chance for Aldershot Town, it would be the Moors who take the lead in the 38th minute through Joe Sbarra from close-range.

An initial good double-save from Ethan Ross saw the ball fall kindly to Sbarra in the penalty area following Ross’ saves but with the ball breaking to the midfielder, Sbarra finished from close-range late on in the first-half.

Having hit the post early on in the game, Solihull’s Andrew Dallas could thankfully only find the right-hand post in the 42nd minute and was the final chance for either side in the first-half, with late long-range efforts from Tommy Willard and Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong easily held by Solihull keeper Ryan Boot.

It was a bright start from The Shots, with an early free-kick from Ndjoli deflecting behind for a corner that saw midfielder Mo Sylla able to shoot inside the Solihull penalty area in the 48th minute, but the Frenchman could only drag his effort wide of the near post.

Despite this early chance, Solihull would double their lead three minutes later through forward Danny Newton’s low effort, after the cross from full-back James Clarke was able to reach Newton at the back post.

With Solihull doubling their lead, Aldershot Town still looked to come forward and offer attacking intent in this game with efforts from Ndjoli and half-time substitute Jordan Ngalo unable to test Boot in the Solihull goal.

The Shots continued to look for a goal to get themselves back in the game and after a more attacking change late on by Manager Mark Molesley with Mo Bettamer coming on, Aldershot Town did find a goal through captain Lewis Kinsella in the 90th minute.

An effort from the full-back just outside the penalty area from Kinsella found the bottom left corner and gave The Shots a glimmer of hope late on, but the home side held firm to see out the win and left Aldershot Town looking to their next away game in the Vanarama National League.

Aldershot Town are next in action next Tuesday when they are back on the road to face a promotion-chasing Bromley FC at Hayes Lane.

Solihull Moors FC: 1 R Boot (G/K), 2 J Clarke, 5 C Howe (C), 7 J Sbarra (Reilly 82′), 8 C Maycock, 10 J Osborne, 11 R Barnett, 14 H Boyes, 19 A Dallas, 24 D Newton (Hudlin 78′), 25 L Maynard

Unused Subs: 4 K Storer, 6 A Gudger, 9 A Rooney

Aldershot Town FC: 24 E Ross (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 18 M Sylla, 20 M Ndjoli, 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris (Bettamer 83′), 26 A Saunders (Ngalo 45′), 27 T Willard (Glover 45′)

Unused Subs: 13 R Hall (G/K), 33 C Daniel