MATCH REPORT: Slough Town 1 Aldershot Town 2 (A) (Pre-Season Friendly)

Aldershot Town made the short trip to Arbour Park, to play Slough Town, on Saturday, as their 2021/22 Pre-Season continued, against National League South opposition.

Town Manager Danny Searle, named a strong line up, with just one Trialist in the starting XI and three on the bench.

Slough, known as The Rebels, had a few familiar faces in their squad, including former Shots’ Scotty Davies, Max Worsfold & Tom Derry and Aaron Kuhl, son of former Shots’ Assistant Manager Martin Kuhl.

Aldershot began brightly and on 5 minutes, Jayden Harris, playing in a more advanced role, was played through on goal following a series of one touch passes, but shot straight at Slough keeper Jonathan North.

The Rebels responded on the quarter hour, when Freddie Grand headed over from a corner.

Worsfold got another shot away for the home side on 23 minutes, but it was always going wide of Mitch Walker’s goal.

Toby Edser came closest to opening the scoring in the 28th minutes, with a stinging drive from 25 yards, which North saved brilliantly, just underneath his crossbar.

Shortly before half time, Rebels Right-Back Josh Jackman let fly with a fierce angled volley, but Walker was equal to it, tipping it over his bar and the game remained scoreless at the break.

Searle brought on Trilist D for the start of the second half, replacing Alfy Whittingham in midfield. The Rebels made a couple of changes themselves, with former Shot’ Scotty Davies taking the field against his old side.

Rebels went close again on 52 minutes, when Eitel Goueth struck a raking drive just over. Soon after, Searle brough on another trialist for Town, in the right wing back position, with Fowler departing the pitch.

Cometh the hour mark Trialist A began to make a significant difference, firstly putting Shots’ ahead from just inside the penalty area, rifling in with his left foot after good work on the right by Trialist C.

Then less than two minutes later, he struck again, this time assisted by Corie Andrews.

Having initially swung and missed the ball, he recomposed himself and slotted home to double his and Aldershot Town’s tally.

The home side made a triple change in order to try and get some momentum back in the game. But it was The Shots’, who seemed determined to push on for a third goal that had the next opportunity, with Trialist D bursting through, only to shoot wide.

On 74 minutes, Trialist A was penalised for a foul in the penalty area and Kuhl stepped up to fire home the penalty. Immediately Searle made his final two changes, bringing on Alfie Saunders and Elis Watts, for Edser & Harris.

On the 90 minute mark, Watts produced a chance for himself, with some neat touches inside the box, before forcing North to deflect his shot behind with a low left footed strike and that proved to be the final chance of an entertaining match, which The Shots’ held on to win 2-1.

Aldershot Town XI: 1 M Walker, 2 G Fowler (Trialist C 56) , 3 L Kinsella (C), 4 G Phillips, 5 K Lokko, 6 K Lyons-Foster, 7 A Whittingham (Trialist D 46), 8 T Edser (E Watts 75), 9 J Harris (A Saunders 75), 10 Trialist A, 11 C Andrews (T Willard 69), Att: 388