MATCH REPORT: Shots 3-4 Wrexham

Aldershot came up short in a box-office clash in front of 4,658 at the EBB, with Sam Dalby scoring a 96th minute winner from a corner to give Wrexham all the points.

Paul Mullin’s first half hat trick was cancelled out by goals from Oliver Pendlebury and Jake Hutchinson, and an own goal from Wrexham which seemed like it had given the Shots a point in the 89th minute; but, a valliant effort by Ross McNeilly’s side ended in defeat.

Shots made two changes heading into the game, as Corey Jordan was reintroduced to the starting 11 alongside Michael Klass, with Morgan Roberts and Tyler Frost dropping to the bench following Tuesday’s draw with Chesterfield.

After a fast start to the game, Wrexham found themselves with a good goalscoring opportunity from the spot after 6 minutes. A shot from Elliot Lee was blocked by Haji Mnoga, and the referee deemed that Mnoga had used his hand, giving Paul Mullin a chance to convert from the spot. Luca Ashby-Hammond got a hand to the penalty, but Mullin’s effort was too strong, giving Wrexham the lead.

In a combination that would prove to be a threat all afternoon, Aldershot almost got level just minutes later. Justin Amaluzor did well to drive himself into a crossing position, and Jake Hutchinson’s headed effort from the cross went just wide of the Wrexham goal.

The Shots had the ball in the back of the net through Jake Hutchinson just after 20 minutes, but the referee disallowed the goal. The ball had come in from Joe Partington and it initially looked like the ball had gone out of play, and once Jake Hutchinson tucked home the cheers were quickly halted as the referee had indicated a goal kick to Wrexham.

Wrexham doubled their lead in the 24th minute, as some good play from Elliot Lee and Anthony Forde found Paul Mullin free at the back post, and the clinical Mullin volleyed in for his and Wrexham’s second.

Shots were able to fire themselves back into the game just before the 30 minute mark, with Oliver Pendlebury scoring his first goal for the Shots. Justin Amaluzor did some great work down the right hand side to beat Jacob Mendy, and his pullback cross found Pendlebury who was free as a bird in the Wrexham box, and was able to convert past Mark Howard to half Wrexham’s lead.

Shots delight was short lived, as Paul Mullin completed his hat-trick and restored Wrexham’s lead in the 35th minute, as some good work from James Jones meant he was able to slip through Paul Mullin, and under pressure, Mullin backheeled his effort into the back of the Aldershot net.

However, a thrilling first half had another twist in it for the Shots. Jake Hutchinson was found with a ball over the top, and remained calm as he put his effort past Mark Howard to reduce Wrexham’s lead to one goal in the 39th minute.

Jake Hutchinson’s goal was the last of a thrilling five goal half, meaning the sides went into half time with the Welsh side leading 3-2.

HALF TIME: Shots 2-3 Wrexham

The second half began with neither side able to break through, with Justin Amaluzor coming closest for either side in the 57th minute. After a quick counter attack, Amaluzor stood the ball up, and worked his feet well to find space for the shot, and his effort was agonisingly just over the crossbar.

The first roll of the dice for the Shots came in the 60th minute, as the returning Michael Klass was replaced by Tyler Frost. Frost went out to the right, and Ryan Glover who had been playing on the right was moved more central by Ross McNeilly.

Frost was almost immediately involved, as Justin Amaluzor slipped him in down the right hand side, and his low cross caused an issue for the Wrexham defence, but Ben Tozer did well enough to ensure Ryan Glover could not turn and get his shot away inside the Wrexham box.

Aldershot were having the better chances in the second 45, with Corey Jordan and Joe Partington going closest from headers, but were unable to score a leveller for the Shots.

Paul Mullin got a chance to add a fourth for Wrexham in the 72nd minute, after he was found well and got in behind Corey Jordan, but Luca Ashby-Hammond was equal to it, and made a good save with his feet to keep Shots in the game.

In the dying moments, Aldershot found a leveller. It was Ollie Harfield’s cross which casued the issue, as his ball into Jake Hutchinson rebounded off a Wrexham defender and rolled past Mark Howard in the Wrexham net to send the East Bank into raptures with less than a minute of the 90 remaining.

However, it was not enough for Aldershot, as in the 96th minute Sam Dalby headed home from a corner to give Wrexham all the points and break Aldershot hearts.

Shots team: 1. Luca Ashby-Hammond, 3. Ollie Harfield, 4. Joe Partington (C), 5. Tyler Cordner, 7. Justin Amaluzor, 16. Corey Jordan, 17. Jake Hutchinson (27. Tommy Willard, 90+2′), 19. Oliver Pendlebury, 20. Michael Klass (8. Tyler Frost, 60′), 22. Haji Mnoga, 23. Ryan Glover, Unused Subs: 15. Karoy Anderson, 18. Henry Ochieng, 29. Morgan Roberts