MATCH REPORT: Shots 1-3 Maidstone

An action-packed and manic opening 10 minutes of the second-half saw four goals as Maidstone raced into a three goal lead that Aldershot couldn’t recover from. Justin Amaluzor pulled one back immediately after Maidstone’s third but it wasn’t enough to spur his side back into the game.

The opening exchanges were an open affair with both teams having early chances.

The visitors had the first chance of the game in the second minute. Pressuring The Shots defence, Maidstone won the ball back and found Sam Corne in the centre only for the midfielder to see his effort from the penalty spot narrowly clear the crossbar.

Inih Effiong then came inches from opening the scoring for Aldershot. A great piece of skill saw Archie Davies create some space for himself on the right and a beautiful cross from the right-back found Effiong whose header rattled the crossbar.

It was The Shots who then came inches away from taking the lead again after a goalmouth scramble in the Maidstone box. Ryan lover was played in down the right and his centre was just missed by the stretching Effiong and bobbled to Frank Vincent who couldn’t get a lucky bounce and Yusuf Mersin saved his shot.

Effiong was the focal point of The Shots direct attack with Francis Amartey and Justin Amaluzor causing problems down both wings and The Shots number nine came close twice before the break. Twice being played in behind The Stones defence, his first effort was well saved by Mersin and his second grazed the post.


Maidstone flew out of the blocks for the second-half and just after five minutes in, found themselves 2-0 up. Jack Barham was adjudged to have been fouled in the Shots box and a penalty was given and duly converted by Regan Booty.

And just a minute later Maidstone had a second. Barham surprised The Shots defence with a burst to the front post and an easy header from just yards out.

But Aldershot’s suffering wasn’t over. Another free header this time converted by Bivesh Gurung to give Maidstone a 3-0 lead within the first 10 minutes of the second-half.

The Shots needed something quick to get them back into the game and Justin Amaluzor delivered emphatically with a brilliant strike into the top corner from outside the box.

Tommy Willard was introduced in place of Giles Phillips in an attacking move by Mark Molesley and Aldershot were throwing everything forward to attempt to get back in the game. Effiong and Josh McQuoid both came close to scoring with efforts from close range but couldn’t find the target.

  1. Luca Ashby-Hammond, 2. Archie Davies, 3. Ollie Harfield, 5. Tyler Cordner, 7. Justin Amaluzor, 8. Frank Vincent, 9. Inih Effiong, 10. Josh McQuoid (c), 14. Francis Amartey, 22. Giles Phillips (27. Tommy Willard 68′), 23. Ryan Glover. Subs not used: 13. Ryan Hall, 11. Harrison Panayiotou, 16. Corey Jordan, 20. Michael Klass.