MATCH REPORT: Shots 1-0 Barnet

A late Kwame Thomas goal was enough to give Aldershot a second win in two games at the EBB Stadium, as his strike in the 85th minute was the only goal of a 1-0 win for Tommy Widdrington’s Shots. 

Tommy Widdrington’s team was convincing in victory over Altrincham on Saturday afternoon, so he rested just two players, with Theo Widdrington and Jack Barham being replaced by James Daly and Stuart O’Keefe ahead of another tough test at the hands of Barnet.

Chances were few and far between in the first half, but most of the ones which came were falling the way of the Shots. Lorent Tolaj had a handful of half chances, his deflected effort off the post and James Daly’s lob over the ‘keeper were the only chances of note for the Shots in the opening 45.

Despite the Shots pressing on, Barnet goalkeeper Josh Keeley seemed more than content for the score to remain 0-0, hence his yellow for taking an age with every goal kick that came his way.

Neither side could break the deadlock on a chilly night at the EBB Stadium, so the game went in level.

HALF TIME: Shots 0-0 Barnet

The Shots continued their pressure but to no avail in the opening 20 of the second half. James Daly had a golden chance within seconds of the restart, as Lorent Tolaj did well to Tyler Frost, he in turn put a great ball across the box but Daly was unable to connect. Later a goal mouth scramble ended in a clearance, so no goals before Widdrington’s first change of Jack Barham for James Daly on 67.

His next change came on 74, as in search of a goal Tommy Widdrington made his signature switch, taking off a midfielder, this time Dejan Tetek, for a striker, Kwame Thomas.

The EBB Stadium fell silent for the first time in a while in what was a heart in mouth moment on Jordi Van Stappershoef’s line, as a failed Ollie Harfield clearance lead to a scuffle on the line, Van Stappershoef eventually getting his hand on the ball and releasing Ryan Glover.

The resulting attack would actually see the ball in the back of the net for the first time, as Glover found Ollie Harfield, and he put a good ball into the box, Kwame Thomas headed on and Jack Barham had the ball in the net from close range, however the assistant’s flag had gone up as soon as the ball connected with Thomas’ head.

And finally, after 85 minutes, Aldershot had the lead. The ball found a way to Tyler Frost, and he hit a half volley towards the Barnet net, however Kwame Thomas got a vital touch on the ball, as he converted from close range and put the ball beyond Josh Keeley. The Barnet ‘keeper was now suddenly eager the get the ball out of his net and up the pitch.

Jack Barham unfortunately had his evening ended early, as he was forced off through injury and replaced by Maxwell Mullins in the 90th minute. After a tense seven minutes of added time the referee blew his whistle, and ened the game to give Aldershot all the points against Barnet.

The attention for Tommy Widdrington and the Shots now turns to next weekend’s clash against Southend at Roots Hall.

Shots XI

  1. Jordi Van Stappershoef, 2. Haji Mnoga, 3. Ollie Harfield, 7. Stuart O’Keefe (C), 8. Tyler Frost, 9. Lorent Tolaj, 10. Josh Stokes, 11. Ryan Glover, 25. Rollin Menayese, 26. James Daly (22. Jack Barham, 67′ (24. Maxwell Mullins, 90′)), 34. Dejan Tetek (39. Kwame Thomas 74′)

Unused subs

13. Ashley Akpan, 20. Josh Barrett

Attendance: 2126 (207 away)