MATCH REPORT: Scunthorpe 3-3 Shots

Both teams came back from losing positions as a goal-heavy affair in Scunthorpe ended with both sides sharing the points.

The game shot into action when Ody Alfa exploded forward down the right wing on a counter attack. The QPR loanee had Inih Effiong for support in the centre but chose to go by himself and powered an effort past Marcus Dewhurst to give The Shots an early lead.

But it didn’t last long. Scunthorpe looked shellshocked in the immediate aftermath of Alfa’s opener but regained composure and Rob Apter provided some individual brilliance to equalise. Picking the ball up outside of the area he took a couple of touches and curled his shot straight into the top corner.

And just a minute later the hosts were in the lead. With all the momentum in their sails following a shot from distance forcing Ashby-Hammond to save for a corner, Scunthorpe saw a header cleared off the line by Archie Davies before Jai Rowe was able to finish and turn the game around for his side.

Scunthorpe had a third from the penalty spot just before the half hour. Mason O’Malley got to the ball before Ody Alfa and The Shots goalscorer tripped his man with Joe Nuttall making no mistake from 12 yards.


Strong words needed to be said at half-time and it seemed they were as The Shots came out with a point to prove. Just like the first 45, they had an early goal! Tyler Cordner may be known as an aerial goal threat but this time he scored a screamer! From 25/30 yards out, the centre-half found the bottom corner with a low, powerful strike.

The Shots were out to rescue the game and Effiong came close moments later. The ball fell to him in the box but his effort was blocked on the line.

And the game was rescued in the 57th minute. Justin Amaluzor came on at half-time and made an instant impact opening up the home defence. His efforts were duly rewarded when he scored a sumptiously placed effort into the bottom corner from just outside the area.

Now chasing a goal to take the lead having stared defeat in the face, Aldershot continued to press forward and look threatening. Effiong scuffed a shot wide and Alfa blasted over from close range.

The Shots continued to look dangerous throughout the second-half and though most of their shots on goal were from outside the box, continued to come close. Tyler Cordner and Frank Vincent both coming close around the 70th minute.

But they were unable to find a winner. Francis Amartey and Harry Panayiotou were introduced late on to introduce fresh attacking impetus but Scunthorpe held firm and both sides will look at the point shared as a point gained.

Shots lineup: 1. Luca Ashby-Hammond, 2. Archie Davies, 3. Ollie Harfield, 5. Tyler Cordner, 8. Frank Vincent, 9. Inih Effiong (c), 15. Tom Whelan, 16. Corey Jordan, 17. Faysal Bettache (7. Justin Amaluzor 46′), 18. Ody Alfa (14. Francis Amartey 75′), 23. Ryan Glover (11. Harry Panayiotou 90+2′). Subs not used: 32. Toby Fisher, 22. Giles Phillips.