MATCH REPORT: Met Police 0 Aldershot Town 2 (Pre-Season Friendly)

Aldershot Town produced a confident display against Southern Football League side Met Police FC at Imber Court after a 2-0 victory on Tuesday night.

Looking to continue their unbeaten run in pre-season so far, it was Aldershot Town who looked the most lively early on and looking to threaten down the flanks with the pace of both Kandi and Trialist F.

They would do just that after a brilliant whipped cross from Trialist F picked out Mo Bettamer, who did well to find a yard of space and head downwards past the Met Police keeper in the 22nd minute.

The Shots would find a second from the penalty spot after Harrison Panayiotou converted a well-struck effort in the 68th minute, after Tanner’s goal-bound effort was struck off the hand off the Met Police defender.

Aldershot Town’s composure paid off as they went three games unbeaten in their pre-season campaign with the announcement of the 2020/21 National League fixtures just around the corner.

It was an even contest in the early proceedings of the game with both sides looking to continue working towards that desired match fitness ahead of their retrospective campaigns.

But, it was Aldershot Town who would take a foothold in the game and opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, with Bettamer rising highest to head home from just a few yards out.

This opener gave The Shots confidence for the remainder of the first-half and could’ve been further in front, had it not been for a slight miscommunication between Bettamer and Josh Rees, who both took a swing and a miss at Trialist B’s low cross in the 36th minute.

There was time late in the first-half for some Met Police pressure, but a mixture of resilient defending and unfortunate finishing saw The Shots lead going into the half-time break.

It was a flurry of changes in the second-half with a number of players being given the second-half opportunity to impress and it was the recently introduced George Fowler and Craig Tanner who impressed for Aldershot Town early on.

A partnership that is seemingly developing game-by-game allowed Tanner to link up with Fowler, before looking for Bettamer who in the 47th minute, was just underneath the winger’s cross for what would’ve been a well-earned second goal.

Another player who continued to impress was winger Chike Kandi, who continued to cause a problem down both wings, with his best chance to score coming just before the 60 minute mark.

The ball fell nicely to the forward just outside the penalty area before striking a dipping volley goalwards that seemed destined for the top-right corner, but Met Police keeper Forster was there to produce an exceptional finger-tip save.

However, Aldershot Town would find that second goal that their performance deserved after Harrison Panayiotou stepped up to convert a confident penalty, following the referee’s decision to award the spot-kick after the Met Police defender handled the ball.

All-round, it was a good run-out for Aldershot Town and they will take confidence and more needed minutes under their belt as they look ahead to the next pre-season friendly against Hanwell Town on Saturday.

Met Police XI: 1 R Forster (G/K) (Allie 70′), 2 Z Chislett, 3 A Fisher (Robertson 66′), 4 O Robinson (Kudyiwa 31′), 5 J Eldstal, 6 R Allen, 7 R Johnson (Cursons 66′), 8 G Frith (Malloy 66′), 9 J Mazzone, 10 M Blackmore, 11 S De St Croix (Birch 66′).

Unused Subs: Knight, Hamilton.

Aldershot Town First-Half XI: 1 M Walker (G/K), 16 Trialist B, 5 A Finney, 4 J Sendles-White (C), 23 Trialist E, 6 K Lyons-Foster, 7 J Rowe, 8 J Rees, 24 Trialist F, 11 C Kandi, 9 M Bettamer.

Aldershot Town Second-Half XI: 1 M Walker (G/K) (Hall 62′), 2 G Fowler, 5 A Finney, 4 J Sendles-White (C), 23 Trialist E (Trialist A 61′), 18 Trialist C, 7 J Rowe (Wylie 62′), 19 Trialist D, 3 C Tanner, 11 C Kandi (Nouble 62′), 9 M Bettamer (Panayiotou 60′).