MATCH REPORT: King’s Lynn Town 0 Aldershot Town 1 (A) (Vanarama National League)

A late Alfy Whittingham header ensured Aldershot Town would pick up their third win in a row in the Vanarama National League, defeating King’s Lynn Town 1-0 at The Walks Stadium.

The Shots made just one change to the starting XI from the side that beat Torquay United at home in midweek, with new signing Joe Gubbins coming in for Kodi Lyons-Foster in the back three of defence.

It was the home side who would have the best opportunity to score early on, with captain Michael Clunan’s effort from distance well-tipped over by Laurie Walker as King’s Lynn looked to respond from disappointing results in recent weeks.

The first-half was heavily influenced by the torrential weather conditions with the best chances for either side to open the scoring coming from set-pieces, with Aldershot Town captain Lewis Kinsella unlucky not to find an Aldershot Town head from a corner five minutes later.

Another set-play that has proved fruitful for The Shots in recent weeks is full-back Alfie Saunders’ long throw-ins and it was from the young defender’s thrown that after a bit of a scramble in the King’s Lynn penalty area, was eventually cleared for another Shots corner that King’s Lynn saw out well.

King’s Lynn continued to threaten from set-pieces, but the Aldershot Town defence in the first-half saw out any danger that came into the penalty area, with one of the Shots’ back-three Corey Jordan unfortunate not to find himself on the scoresheet midway through the first-half.

Kinsella again the provider from the free-kick as his cross found Jordan inside the King’s Lynn penalty area, but his looping header was gratefully gathered by Paul Jones in the Linnets’ goal in the 25th minute.

This opportunity was the best of an even first-half that saw neither side able to create anything too clear-cut, as both came into the second-half looking to break the deadlock in what had been a close contest up until the midway point.

However, the second-half started in much better fashion for Aldershot Town as they looked to open the scoring and take what would be a valuable three points.

A succession of corners looked to threaten the King’s Lynn goal, but so far the home side had managed to deal with the threat that The Shots looked to pose.

Midway through the second-half, the level seemed to raise another step for Aldershot Town and could’ve found themselves ahead earlier in the game after a good spell led to Whittingham able to find space in the area, but could only strike his effort wide in the 68th minute.

Despite this chance, the midfielder did not let the opportunity get him down as just over 10 minutes later, he found himself in the penalty area again, but this time opened the scoring with a well-timed header that gave The Shots a deserved lead in the 81st minute.

Brilliant build-up play allowed the ball to be crossed in by recent substitute Mikael Ndjoli on the right-hand side before the forward picked out Whittingham who rose highest to score his second in three games.

King’s Lynn immediately responded with Michael Gyasi firing over the bar for King’s Lynn but after scoring the opener (and what would turn into the winner), Aldershot Town held their nerve and showed resilience to bring them their third win in a row.

The Shots are next in action next Saturday, when they host Altrincham FC in the Vanarama National League.

King’s Lynn Town FC: 1 P Jones (G/K), 4 K Callan-McFadden,6 D Bowry, 7 M Clunan (C), 9 G Omotayo, 12 M Gyasi, 14 M Linton (Charles 54′), 16 B McGavin, 17 A Jones, 21 D Moxey, 18 M Sundire (Bird 69′), 23 A Iontton (Barrett 51′)

Aldershot Town FC: 37 L Walker (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 7 A Whittingham, 11 C Andrews (Vennings 90′), 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 14 R Glover, 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla, 26 A Saunders (Ndjoli 72′), 27 T Willard, 36 J Gubbins

Unused Subs: 1 M Walker (G/K), 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong, 39 J Gorman