MATCH REPORT: FA Youth Cup vs Weston-super-Mare

Aldershot made it two cup wins in three days at the EBB Stadium as the Academy youngsters dispatched Weston-super-Mare to progress to the FA Youth Cup First Round Proper.

The young Shots had an early sight at goal and the first of the match in just the second minute, when Marc Nouble – who scored twice in the Second Qualifying Round win – forced Weston-super-Mare’s ‘keeper Freddie Butchers into a save.

Aldershot’s ‘keeper Alex Walder also had to be called into action within the first five minutes. A defensive mix up allowed the visitors to drive at goal through Zak Kempster, but Walder did well to get down quickly and make the save.

The Shots were enjoying the majority of possession but when out of it, had urgency to get it back. A high press won the ball back deep into Weston territory in the 12th minute and Mark Holley came very close to scoring a fantastic opening goal as his effort from 25-yards out had to be tipped over.

Weston-super-Mare were lucky to not be reduced to 10-men in the 26th minute. A great through-ball by Toby Nelson sent Marc Nouble through on goal but the striker was dragged back to the floor in a legal fashion, according to the officials.

But, the Shots found the breakthrough regardless a few minutes later through Danny-James Carter. Marc Nouble broke the offside trap and raced through, he beat his man and left him on the floor as he squared the ball to Carter to finish from a few yards out.

Carter should have had his second not long later, and was desperately unlucky not to. His first shot hit the inside of the post and rolled across the goal-line only to be met by the number 7, but his rebound was blocked behind for a corner.

Just before half-time, the Shots were again incredibly unfortunate to not further their lead as they saw another effort hit the woodwork. A clever corner routine seeing all the Shots attackers gather under the cross bar was headed against the post by Kaden Hughes before a rebound was cleared off the line.


Weston-super-Mare burst out of the blocks for the second-half in the hopes of punishing the Shots’ misfortune in making their dominance count on the scoreline, but Aldershot managed to double their lead in the 49th minute with a great team move.

Eddie Cooper won the ball just inside his own half and played it to Marc Nouble who turned and drove forward. He played it across to Toby Nelson who squared it over to Cooper who had carried on his run to finish the move.

Alex Walder barely touched the ball in the Second Qualifying Round win over Hamble but had to be on call on a number of occasions to keep his side’s lead in tact. Two smart saves not long after Cooper’s goal were credit to his focus and reflexes.

Aldershot would get their third goal in the 63rd minute as Marc Nouble scored a fantastic strike. He got the ball about 25-yards out, turned towards goal and almost effortlessly curled it into the top corner: Not many ‘keepers would have had a chance in saving it!

The three goal lead finally gave the Shots the comfort their dominance deserved and the last third of the game became a session of keep-ball for the youngsters as they breezed into the next round of the FA Youth Cup!

Shots lineup: 1. Alex Walder, 2. Horatio Fowler, 3 Eddie Cooper, 4. Reece Mather (C), 5. Kaden Hughes, 6. Licas Turner, 7. Danny-James Carter, 8 Mark Holley, 9. Marc Nouble (17. Krystian Komosinski 78′), 10. Toby Nelson (14. Naman Gurung 78′), 11. Maddox McMillan (15. Milo Derham 60’).

Subs not used: 12. Wilf Douglas, 13. Euan Brindley, 16. Sar Shah, 18. Stanley Broadway.