MATCH REPORT: Altrincham 1-0 Shots

Aldershot fell to defeat in Altrincham as Ryan Colclough’s penalty sent the 10-men Shots home with no points.

A quiet opening 10 minutes saw both sides attempting to gain control of proceedings early on with neither side able to create any chances until Ryan Glover headed just wide in the 10th minute. Ollie Harfield delivered a dangerous cross from the left that is beginning to become expected from the left-back but despite leaping highest, Glover couldn’t find the target.

The match stayed quiet… Luca Ashby-Hammond was called into action in the 30th minute when Ryan Colclough volleyed into the ground leaving the Shots stopper to make a comfortable save.

The most important bit of action in a very actionless first-half came just as the 45 came to a close. Tom Whelan, earlier shown a perhaps premature yellow card for his first foul, was shown a second yellow and given his marching orders as he brought Ryan Colclough down on the halfway line.


The second 45 started a lot brighter than the first as Altrincham looked to capitalise on their numerical advantage. Within the first minute, Elliot Osborne saw an effort from just outside the area fly over the bar.

Inih Effiong pounced on a slip by the Altrincham defence and launched a counter attack which eventually found its way to Ryan Glover, however, the midfielder’s shot dragged wide of the post.

With a man less, Aldershot accepted their backs were against the wall and focused on defensive solidity shown in abundance by Ashby-Hammond. The Shots number one pulled off a number of important saves to deny Altrincham and mainly Colclough around the hour.

The hosts could smell blood and began to push heavily for an opener. In the 67th minute, a shot from distance by Chris Conn-Clarke dipped dramatically forcing Ashby-Hammond into a good save to tip it over the bar.

And moments later, they came closer. Marcus Dinanga’s flick hit the post and fell to Brad Jackson whose effort from point-blank range was well saved again by on-loan Fulham man.

Ashby-Hammond was looking imperious being called into action twice more to deny the preying Altrincham but his efforts were left to lady luck when a trip in the box gifted Alty a penalty in the 76th minute.

Colclough had been denied by The Shots ‘keeper on multiple occasions but made no mistake from 12 yards, sending the unfortunate Luca the wrong way and giving his side the lead.

Throwing caution to the wind, Ody Alfa was introduced for Corey Jordan as despite their numerical disadvantage, The Shots looked to push forward. However Altrincham held firm and picked up their first win of the season.

Shots lineup: 1. Luca Ashby-Hammond, 2. Archie Davies, 3. Ollie Harfield, 5. Tyler Cordner, 7. Justin Amaluzor (14. Francis Amartey 86′), 8. Frank Vincent, 9. Inih Effiong, 15. Tom Whelan, 16. Corey Jordan (18. Ody Alfa 82′), 23. Ryan Glover (17. Faysal Bettache 86’), 27. Tommy Willard. Subs not used: 32. Toby Fisher, 11. Harry Panayiotou.