MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town u18s 1 Ipswich Town u18s 4 (H) (FA Youth Cup)

Aldershot Town u18s bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the second round stage after a 4-1 defeat to League One side Ipswich Town’s u18s at The EBB Stadium.

An early goal from Jack Manly set Ipswich on their way after good work from Cameron Humphrys, which allowed the ball to be squared across for Manly to finish from close-range after two minutes.

Aldershot Town equalised through Harvey Limb just before half-time, but three second-half goals from Ashley Boatswain, Finley Barbrook and Tawanda Chirewa sealed the win for the young Tractor Boys.

It was the away side who started the game well and following their early goal, a chance to double their lead from a header that was fortunately put wide by Tyrese Osbourne after 10 minutes.

Aldershot Town grew into the game following this chance, with striker Harvey Limb winning a free kick,  that went agonisingly close and was put just over the bar by Ipswich’s Lewis Ridd.

The game was end to end after as Ipswich forward Ashley Boatswain put a header wide of the goal, before Limb created an opportunity for Aldershot Town as he played through Archie Coulter who could only find his effort straight into the arms of Ridd.

With the first-half drawing to a close, Finn Evans broke into the box for Aldershot Town before seeing his shot saved by Ridd.

But the Ipswich keeper could only parry straight into the path of Limb who slotted the ball home to draw Aldershot Town level in the 44th minute.

After just one minute of time added on, referee Nicholas Metcalfe blew his whistle for the half-time interval with both scoring a goal apiece.

It was Ipswich Town who started the second half well, with Aldershot Town’s Harvey Keogh saving tough efforts from Osbourne and Tawanda Chirewa.

After 55 minutes, the game became a bit more aggressive with both sides looking to take the lead, as an altercation between Aldershot Town captain Oliver Lahtinen-Kalsi and Osbourne resulted in both players getting yellow cards.

Just three minutes later, Aldershot Town looked to freshen things up, making a double change with Harry Hurst and Josh Elba replacing full-back Tommy Barrell and goalscorer Harvey Limb.

Despite these changes, it was Ipswich Town who re-established their lead, as Boatswain bundled the ball home despite the best efforts of the Aldershot Town defence, after a goal-line scramble saw the young Tractor Boys take the lead for the second time in the game.

This resulted in Aldershot Town making their final change of the tie with Ciaran Judd replacing the lively Finn Evans.

Ipswich Town responded to these changes from The Shots with a double substitution of their own in the 65th minute, as Jesse Nwabueze and Finley Barbrook replaced Tyrese Osbourne and goalscorer Jack Manly.

Two minutes later, Ipswich had their third goal of the game, with Boatswain seeing his shot well-saved by Keogh, however the ball fell to recent sub Barbrook who slotted home from close-range to make it 3-1.

Aldershot fought hard and looked to respond with a few chances of their own, as Keogh was on hand down the other end to save efforts from Chirewa and Humphrys.

After 86 minutes, Ipswich Town grabbed their fourth with Aldershot Town defence Hedley Ogbebor fouling Humphrys inside the penalty area, before Ipswich’s Chirewa stepped up and converted from the penalty spot to make it 4-1.

Ipswich Town followed this goal up with their final change of the game as Sean Stephenson replaced the  final goal-scorer Tawanda Chirewa.

After two minutes of additional time, the ref blew for full-time, leaving Aldershot Town proud of their efforts and their overall FA Youth Cup run this season, with Ipswich Town looking ahead to their Third Round tie against Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur.

The attendance for the evening was announced as 359, with the Man Of The Match chosen by our Match Sponsor’s Last Of The Summer Wine given to defender Hedley Ogbebor.


Aldershot Town u18’s: 1 H Keogh, 2 G Milner-Smith, 3 T Barrell (Hurst, 58’),  5 O Lahtinen-Kalsi, 6 H Ogbebor, 7 E Stephens Truman, 8 M Toms, 9 H Limb (Elba, 58’),10 F Bolton, 11 F Evans (Judd,68’), 14 A Coulter

Unused Subs: Garrett, Cannon, Hill, Davey

Ipswich Town u18’s: 1 L Ridd, 2 E Agbaje, 3 H Babrook, 4 Z Bradshaw, 5 H Knock, 6 A Armin, 7 T Osbourne (Nwabueze, 65’), 8 C Humphrys, 9 A Boatswain, 10 T Chirewa (Stephenson 89’), 11 J Manly (Barbrook, 68’)

Unused subs: Cullum, Kieran, Steele, Cook