MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town P-P Wrexham A.F.C. (H)

Heavy rainfall throughout the match means the fixture between Aldershot Town and Wrexham will have to be replayed after being called off by the referee shortly into the second half.

The Shots named an unchanged starting XI from the 1-0 defeat to FC Halifax Town last Saturday.

Prior to the game, Aldershot Town announced that two new signings had been made. The first new arrival is former Charlton Athletic midfielder James Vennings, who comes in on loan, and the other is goalkeeper Callum Coulter, who previously played for Colchester United and joins on a permanent basis. Both players are just 20 years old, and came into the matchday squad on the bench.

It was the visitors that had the first chance of the afternoon just 6 minutes in, as a well struck free-kick from Davies was kept out by Walker, and the resulting corner came to nothing.

Just before the 10 minute mark, the Shots put together a nice move themselves. A string of nice passes between Edser and Whittingham allowed Whittingham to deliver a cross, but his ball couldn’t find anyone in the box.

Wrexham had another great chance to take the lead in the 18th minute, as Bryce Hosannah managed to weave his way past a few Aldershot Town players, and forced Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain to make a brilliant goal-line block, with the resulting corner once again coming to nothing.

But the deadlock was broken by the Welsh side shortly after in the 22nd minute, as the ball fell to Hyde inside the penalty area, and he tucked it away into the bottom corner.

The lead was almost doubled a few minutes later, as Paul Mullin had a strike from distance, but it was well saved by Walker in the Shots goal.

Hyde had a chance to score his second of the afternoon after a ball from Paul Mullin found him 12 yards out, but he couldn’t adjust his feet and his eventual shot was well blocked.

The chances kept coming for Wrexham, as Mullin fired the ball across goal, but nothing came from it.

The Shots had a great chance to level it in the 36th minute, after a great ball sent Andrews through on goal, but his low shot from a tough angle couldn’t quite beat Lainton, who was called into action for the first time.

Deep into the seven minutes of injury time, Wrexham were awarded a penalty after a high foot from a Shots defender, and it was emphatically converted by Paul Mullin.

But just six minutes into the second half, the match was halted by referee Sukhvir Gill, as heavy rain that poured down throughout the first half continued to fall.

Some of the Wrexham players even got involved in trying to clear water off the pitch, but with no sign of the rainfall stopping and a waterlogged pitch, the match was officially abandoned.

The Shots are next in action on Tuesday night, as they travel to The Crabble to take on Dover Athletic.

Aldershot Town FC: 1 M Walker (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 7 A Whittingham, 8 T Edser, 9 M Bettamer, 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong (T Willard 34’), 11 C Andrews, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris (J Vennings 46’)

Wrexham AFC: 1 R Lainton (G/K), 3 J Reckord, 5 A Hayden, 6 B Tozer (T French 40’), 7 J Davies, 8 L Young (C) (D Redmond 9’), 9 J Hyde, 10 P Mullin, 17 B Hosannah, 26 H Lennon, 30 J Jones