MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 3 Notts County 1 (H)

Aldershot Town guaranteed themselves a place in The National League next season after a brilliant 3-1 win against playoff-hopefuls Notts County.

Molesley made just one change to the side that drew 1-1 to Bromley in midweek, with Tommy Willard replacing Sinclair Armstrong up front.

The first chance of the game came four minutes in, and it was a big opportunity for the visitors to take an early lead. Some nice play on the left saw Nemane put the ball into the box. His cross managed to find Rodrigues just a few yards from goal, but his effort went wide of the target.

A few minutes later, Aldershot Town took the lead. A great ball over the top from Sylla picked out Willard down the right, and his low cross found Ndjoli who tapped it in from just inside the six yard box.

Just after the ten minute mark, Notts County won a free-kick in a dangerous position. It was struck by Rodrigues, but the shot was high and never troubling Ross in between the sticks.

The Shots then had a free-kick of their own, which was taken by Kinsella. He nearly picked out Jordan at the far post, but it was slightly out of the reach of the defender.

The game continued to see efforts from both sides, with Roberts having a go from just inside the penalty area, but his powerful effort was saved by Ross.

In the 23rd minute, Notts County won a penalty. Following some nice skill, Rodrigues went down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Roberts stepped up and converted, levelling the game.

On the half hour mark, the visitors had another penalty shout after Nemane was brought down by Oxlade-Chamberlain. Even though it looked to be more of a penalty than the one given earlier on, the referee’s decision was a goal-kick.

34 minutes in, and The Shots re-gained the lead. A ball from Harris managed to pick out Tommy Willard on the right hand side, and a brilliant driven effort found the bottom left hand corner, giving Jaros no chance.

The final ten minutes saw no real chances for either team. Notts County won multiple corners in this period, all of which were well dealt with by Aldershot Town.

The first chance of the second half should’ve seen Aldershot Town grab their third of the afternoon. An under-hit back pass from Rawlinson saw Berekely-Agyepong one-on-one with the keeper, but his shot was straight at Jaros who managed to deny him.

Shortly after the hour mark, a cross from Kelly-Evans picked out Rodrigues in the area, but his headed effort was weak and went straight into the hands of Ross.

In the 67th minute, some nice exchanges saw Roberts get played into the box, but Ross was alert and out quickly to deal with it.

A few minutes later, County substitute Harry Arter had a go from distance, and his shot ended up turning into a cross after it was met by the head of Kelly-Evans, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target.

With fifteen minutes to go, Arter had another go from way outside the box, and his effort sailed way over the bar.

Aldershot Town had a good chance to seal the game 80 minutes in. A long throw by Oxlade-Chamberlain was flicked on by Jordan at the front post, and any touch from Willard would’ve seen the ball in the back of the net. However, it was just out of his reach and cleared by Notts County.

Shortly after, the visitors had another chance to level things back up. A cross by Sam on the left hand side picked out Rodrigues who was level with the penalty spot, but his first time strike on the half-volley went over the bar.

An Aldershot Town counter attack saw Berkeley-Agyepong play through Willard, but his shot from a difficult angle was parried by Jaros.

However, in the 88th minute, substitute Sinclair Armstrong, who was making his home debut, scored his first Aldershot Town goal in style. After being released by Berkeley-Agyepong down the left-hand side, Armstrong managed to cut inside and unleashed a curling effort into the top right corner, sealing all three points for The Shots.

Deep into the seven minutes of additional time, it only got worse for Notts County after Dion Kelly-Evans picked up his second yellow card after fouling Armstrong.

The final whistle meant Aldershot Town picked up a much deserved win after a brilliant performance, and also guaranteed survival for The Shots.

The next Aldershot Town fixture is on Monday, when we travel to take on Maidenhead.


Aldershot Town FC: 24 E Ross (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong (C Daniel 90’), 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla, 20 M Ndjoli (S Armstrong 75’), 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris, 27 T Willard (A Whittingham 90’)

Unused Subs: 13 R Hall (G/K), 9 M Bettamer

Notts County FC: 13 V Jaros (G/K), 5 C Rawlinson (H Arter 57’), 10 C Roberts, 11 A Nemane (E Sam 67’), 14 E Francis, 16 D Kelly-Evans, 18 M Palmer (C), 20 R Rodrigues, 23 A Chicksen, 25 S Graham, 27 Z Brunt (K Wootton 57’)

Unused Subs: 6 J O’Brien, 26 J Richardson