MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 2 Stockport County 1

Aldershot Town returned to winning ways when they overcame Stockport County in a 2-1 result at The EBB Stadium on Saturday.

Craig Tanner scored coolly on his home debut to give the Shots a lead going into half-time.

Devante Rodney levelled the score early in the second period before Mohammed Bettamer restored the lead after an offside consultation between the officials.

Danny Searle handed Tanner his home debut following his first 90 minutes in 22 months last weekend against Torquay United. He also made four changes in total from the side the were knocked out the FA Trophy last weekend. Myles Anderson, Kodi Lyons-Foster, Alefe Santos and Alfy Whittingham made way for Ethan Chislett, Alex Finney, Max Hunt and Lewis Walker.

The first chance in the game came 23 seconds in. It fell to Elliot Osbourne 12 yards out in space after good work from Tom Walker on the left but he spooned it over the top while falling backwards.

After four minutes, the home team managed to assert some pressure. Lewis Walker and Max Hunt both came close, but not close enough in this time.

Walker was unable to score when Ben Hinchcliffe denied him on the left-hand-side 16 minutes in, but the forward was in seconds later on that side to set up an even better opportunity. Walker played it inside to Mo Bettamer who held the ball up well before laying it off the home-debutant Tanner. The winger finished calmly, first-time into the bottom left corner.

Osbourne had another great chance half-an-hour into the match when Tom Walker found him at the back post again, but he was denied by his namesake in the Aldershot goal.

Mitch Walker denied Tom Walker again 7 minutes later. A brilliant run from Frankie Mulhern opened up the Shots defence. He laid it off for Tom Walker who was smothered at his feet by the Shots goalkeeper before he could get his shot off only 10 yards out.

A second goal for the Shots almost came from a Stockport foot with five minutes of the half to play. Tanner was found in space on the right-hand-side again and his touch towards goal was scooped only just wide of his own goal by Festus Arthur.

Mitch Walker was called into action again, in quite a brilliant fashion right on the stroke of half-time when Jordan Keane had a go from 25 yards out. The effort was heading into the top right corner before the outstrethed arm of Walker tipped it over the bar.

Tanner had the first big chance of the second period in the 54th minute when he was found at the back post again, but he denied a second when his header was parried wide by Hinchcliffe.

Unfortunately, the next goal in the game was an equaliser. A free kick was swung in from the right-hand-side, the ball wasn’t cleared properly at the first attempt as it fell perfectly for Rodney to easily finish in the 57th minute.

Eight minutes later however, the home advantage was restored. It was Bettamer who stuck the ball in the back of the net from seven yards following a Kinsella cross, but initially the linesman flagged for offside. After a consultation with the referee, he gave the goal, deeming that the ball had been flicked off a Stockport player on its way through to Bettamer.

Bettamer almost got his second with 12 minutes to play. Kinsella worked his way inside with a lovely bit of skill before digging out a cross. The striker was at the near post but his header was directed agonisingly past the post.

The Libyan could’ve had a hattrick when he was found by Tanner after some good build up on the right-hand-side, but the couldn’t find the target.

Aldershot Town XI: 1 M. Walker, 2 R. Tinkler, 3 L. Kinsella, 4 D. Rance, 15 A. Finney, 19 M. Bettamer (Whittingham 88′), 20 E. Chislett (Santos 72′), 24 L. Walker (Panayiotou 77′) 25 M. Hunt, 26 C. Tanner, 34 J. Powell

Unused Subs: Lyons-Foster, Shields

Stockport County XI: 1 B. Hinchcliffe, 2 S. Minihan (S. Walker 79′), 4 P. Turnbull, 5 A. Palmer, 6 J. Keane, 9 F. Mulhern (Bell 61′),10 E. Osbourne (Thomas 71′), 18 F. Arthur, 22 T. Garratt, 26 T. Walker, 27 D. Rodney

Unused Subs: Cowan, Ormson