MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 2 Grimsby Town 1 (H) (Vanarama National League)

Aldershot Town picked up their first home win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Grimsby Town in the Vanarama National League.

The Shots made three changes to the starting XI that suffered defeat in midweek against Wrexham. Both Alfy Whittingham and Tommy Willard came in after making appearances off the bench on Tuesday, and Alfie Saunders came straight into the line-up after being recalled from his loan spell at Farnborough, where he started in eight consecutive games.

Aldershot Town started out on the front foot, as a good ball from Andrews was just too far ahead of Willard, but the ball came to Kinsella who cut inside and had a shot from distance, but his effort was over the bar.

The Shots continued to press, and a few minutes later found themselves with a corner. A good delivery from Kinsella was aimed towards Glover at the front post, but it was cleared behind for another corner, which resulted in nothing.

And in the 12th minute, Aldershot Town found themselves in front. A free-kick taken by Kinsella was won at the back post by Lyons-Foster, and his header across goal found Tommy Willard who tucked it away from close range.

But just three minutes later, Grimsby found an equaliser. An attempted shot was deflected into the air, and Harry Clifton got there first and headed the ball past Walker.

The Shots came close to regaining the lead shortly after, as this time, Kinsella’s corner was met by Ryan Glover, and his headed attempt looked certain to have found the back of the net, but it was tipped onto the crossbar by McKeown and cleared away.

A few minutes before the half-hour mark, Willard looked to get his and Aldershot Town’s second of the game, but his shot from outside the box was wide of the target.

Aldershot Town continued to look dangerous from corner kicks towards the end of the half, winning three in as many minutes, and although they were delivered into threatening areas, no major chances came from them.

It was a quieter start to the second half, with neither team troubling the opposition’s goal.

But ten minutes into the half, there was a big decision for the referee to make. Erico Sousa appeared to kick Lewis Kinsella whilst he was on the ground, but he was only given a yellow card, much to the disagreement of the home fans.

However, on the hour mark, Aldershot Town regained the lead. A long throw-in from Saunders was flicked on and fell to Alfy Whittingham at the back-post, and he smashed the ball home past a helpless McKeown in the Grimsby net.

70 minutes in, and The Shots nearly had a third. The ball came out to Oxlade-Chamberlain, who took it down and volleyed it on his left from distance, and his spectacular effort crashed off the crossbar.

The Mariners had a long-range effort of their own shortly after, as Clifton tried his luck from 25 yards out, but it sailed over the bar.

It was substitute Bapaga who was next to try and get his side back in the game, this time from inside the area, but he dragged his effort wide.

With ten minutes to go, the visitors had the ball in the back of the net, but it was quickly ruled out for offside.

In the 88th minute, Grimsby continued to pile on the pressure, but some brilliant work by the Aldershot Town defence and Laurie Walker kept multiple close range efforts out. The original attempt was saved by the fingertips of Walker from a tight angle, and the rebound was brilliantly blocked and cleared behind for a corner, which was dealt with by The Shots.

But despite all of this pressure, Aldershot Town managed to hold on and pick up a fantastic first home win of the season.

The Shots are next in action on Tuesday 23rd, when Torquay United visit The EBB Stadium.

Aldershot Town FC: 37 L Walker (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 6 K Lyons-Foster, 7 A Whittingham, 11 C Andrews (M Ndjoli 72’), 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 14 R Glover (J Berkeley-Agyepong 78’), 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla (W Angell 90+6’), 26 A Saunders, 27 T Willard

Unused Subs: 1 M Walker (G/K), 39 J Gorman


Grimsby Town FC: 1 J Mckeown (G/K), 2 M Efete, 4 B Fox (W Bapaga 68’), 6 L Waterfall (C), 15 H Clifton, 17 S Revan, 18 E Sousa, 22 R Towler, 26 A Hunt, 29 R Taylor, 31 E Khouri (L John-Lewis 68’)

Unused Subs: 3 A Crookes, 8 G Coke, 16 D Longe-King