MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 2 Altrincham FC 2 (H) (Vanarama National League)

Aldershot Town extended their unbeaten run to four games as they drew 2-2 to Altrincham in The Vanarama National League.

The Shots made just one change from last Saturday’s 1-0 victory against Kings Lynn, as new signing Bradley Webb came straight into the starting XI and replaced Lewis Kinsella who missed out through suspension. Jayden Harris also took his place on the bench after being recalled from a loan spell at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

The first chance of the afternoon came three minutes in when Daniel Mooney tried his luck from distance, but his weak effort was easily gathered by Walker.

The next 20 minutes saw a quiet spell in the game, with neither team creating any real chances and neither goalkeeper being tested.

The visitors then had two long range efforts in quick succession, but both Whitehead and Mooney saw their shots go high and wide of the target.

But just before the half hour mark, it was Aldershot Town that broke the deadlock. A brilliant backheel from Andrews found debutant Brad Webb who had continued his run down the line and into the penalty area, and his ball found Alfy Whittingham who tucked it away at the back post.

The momentum was now in favour of The Shots, and five minutes later a brilliant attack had everything but the finishing touch. Whittingham’s ball found Alfie Saunders in acres of space down the right hand side, and a great ball into the box nearly found Andrews, but it was headed away for a corner that resulted in nothing.

In the 39th minute, Dan Mooney had yet another go from long distance, and although this was his best try yet, it was straight at Walker and comfortably saved.

A minute later, The Shots doubled their lead. The ball was won in midfield by Sylla and played into the path of Andrews, who squared it across the edge of the box to find Glover. His fake shot created space and allowed him to set up Sylla just outside the area, and his low curling effort found the bottom right-hand corner and finished off the move that he started.

However, deep into the three minutes of injury time, Altrincham pulled a goal back. A ball into the area from Colclough found Mullarkey at the back post, and he smashed the ball into the net from a few yards out.

The second half almost had a goal in the first two minutes, and it was Aldershot Town that had the chance to get a third. After some good hold-up play, Andrews played Saunders down the line, and his cross found Ryan Glover who’s acrobatic attempt couldn’t quite find the target.

Ten minutes later, Andrews thought that he should have had a penalty. After holding the ball up and creating space for himself in the area, the striker went down before he could get a shot away, however the referee wasn’t interested and gave a goal kick.

In the 65th minute, Willard had a chance to get himself on the scoresheet. Andrews played a ball through to Willard, and despite the tight angle, his powerful effort forced Thompson into a good save that went behind for a corner, however this came to nothing.

With 20 minutes to go, another promising Aldershot Town attack had everything but a goal to go with it. After surging forward, Sylla found Ndjoli who then played Saunders, and his dangerous ball across the face of goal couldn’t quite pick out Willard.

Andrews then had a shot from a very tight angle, which he did well to get off in the first place, but it could only find the side netting of Thompson’s goal.

The last 20 minutes saw continuous Altrincham pressure, with numerous corners being well dealt with by The Shots. However, in the 90th minute, The Robins managed to get an equaliser. A corner was cleared by Aldershot Town for a throw-in, which was quickly taken to Colclough, and his cross into the danger area went all the way through, missing everyone, and straight into Walker’s net.

Five minutes into stoppage time, substitute Ben Pringle almost scored a winner as his shot from distance looked as if it was curling into the far corner, but an out-stretched Laurie Walker managed to deny him.

A final corner came in from Altrincham, and after a scramble in the box, it was eventually cleared and followed by the referee’s full time whistle.

The Shots are in action next weekend when they face Eastleigh in The Vanarama National League.


Aldershot Town FC: 37 L Walker (G/K), 7 A Whittingham (C), 11 C Andrews, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 14 R Glover (M Ndjoli 64’), 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla, 26 A Saunders, 27 T Willard, 32 B Webb (J Harris 61’), 36 J Gubbins

Unused Subs: 1 M Walker (G/K), 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong, 39 J Gorman


Altrincham FC: 1 T Thompson (G/K), 3 C Hampson, 5 T Hannigan, 6 J Moult (C), 7 D Mooney (J Hancock 60’), 11 R Colclough, 15 M Kosylo (B Pringle 76’), 24 J Senior, 25 T Mullarkey, 27 A Leitch-Smith, 29 D Whitehead (A Porter 70’)

Unused Subs: 9 M Dinanga, 18 K Digie