MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 1 Barnet FC 3 (H)

Aldershot Town were left disappointed after suffering a 3-1 defeat at home to Barnet.

Aldershot Town made just one change to the starting XI after picking up an important three points last Saturday against Weymouth. Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong returned to the starting line-up after coming off the bench last time out, replacing Ryan Glover. It was also announced that James Vennings had re-signed for the club on an initial one-month loan deal, and he came straight into the matchday squad as a substitute.

It was a dream start for the visitors, who put themselves in front just five minutes into the game. A low cross into the box from Hall managed to miss everybody, and went straight into the bottom corner of Walker’s goal.

Just after a quarter of an hour, Barnet doubled their lead. A cross from Greenidge managed to find Sam Beard at the back post, whose first-time effort from close-range found the back of the net.

Shortly after, The Shots put in a dangerous cross of their own. Willard nearly picked out Phillips, but Oxborough got finger tips to it and the ball was cleared.

A few minutes later, a free-kick taken by Edser was met by the head of Jordan, and his effort looped just over the bar. However, it was called back for offside.

Rob Hall almost had a second of the afternoon in the 24th minute, but his shot from the edge of the area was low and straight at Walker, who easily dealt with it.

There were claims for an Aldershot Town penalty ten minutes before half-time, with early substitute Glover making an instant impact. The majority of those within the ground thought the ball had struck the arm of Richards-Everton after a good cross from Glover, but nothing was given.

The Bees could’ve had a third before the half, if it wasn’t for a brilliant save by Mitch Walker. After carrying the ball forward, Hall decided to have a go from 25 yards out, and it looked like it was nestling in the bottom right-hand corner, but Walker got across quickly and managed to deny him. Nevertheless, there was work to be done by The Shots in the second half.

The second half started like the first, and Barnet got their third of the afternoon. Fonguck picked up the ball on the halfway line, and after driving forward played Adam Marriott through on goal. His strike from inside the area wasn’t the cleanest, but despite Walker getting something on it, he couldn’t keep it out.

Substitute Serhat Tasdemir almost had an instant impact after a cross from Thomas found him 10 yards out, but his effort was skewed wide of the near post.

On the hour mark, Willard came close to pulling one back for his side, but his well-hit effort flew just wide of Oxborough’s goal.

In the 70th minute, some good link up play between Panayioyou and Willard saw Willard get the ball inside a crowded penalty area, and his shot was blocked. The ball then came straight to Panayiotou, who didn’t have much time to react, and his shot came off the top of the crossbar.

Mo Sylla came close to scoring fifteen minutes from time after Glover found him in the area, but his shot was straight at Oxborough who got down well to deny him.

There was to be a late consolation goal for Aldershot Town, with Tommy Willard getting himself on the scoresheet in stoppage time. The forward cut into the box from the left hand side, and his fantastic curling effort found the far side of the goal and left Oxborough with no chance.

There was not enough time for The Shots to get themselves back in the game, and the referee’s final whistle ended a disappointing afternoon for Aldershot Town.

The Shots are in action next weekend, when they travel north to take on Grimsby Town in the Vanarama National League.

Aldershot Town FC: 1 M Walker (G/K), 6 K Lyons-Foster (C), (S Wilson 68’), 8 T Edser, 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong (R Glover 35’), 11 H Panayiotou, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain, 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla, 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris (J Vennings 35’), 27 T Willard

Unused Subs: 31 C Coulter (G/K), 32 B Webb

Barnet FC: 27 A Oxborough (G/K), 2 J Thomas, 6 B Richards-Everton, 7 R Hall, 10 D Powell, 14 A Marriott (S Tasdemir 57’), 15 R Greenidge, 18 W Fonguck (K Flanagan 82’), 19 H Taylor (C), 23 S Beard (T Howe 75’), 28 S Woods

Unused Subs: 24 J Askew (G/K), 4 J Payne