MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 0 Wrexham A.F.C. 5 (H)

Aldershot Town were defeated at home by Wrexham, after the initial fixture was called off due to heavy rainfall.

The Shots made 3 changes to the team that suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat to Barnet in front of the BT Sport cameras, with Andrews, Glover and Sylla all coming into the starting XI. Mo Sylla earned his first start for Aldershot Town, after coming off the bench and scoring on his debut last time out. Youth player James Gorman also featured in the matchday squad, taking his place on the bench.

Both of Wrexham’s goalscorers in the original fixture were unavailable for the midweek replay, with Jake Hyde being out through injury and Paul Mullin serving a suspension.

It was the visitors that had the first chance of the game five minutes in, as a dangerous free-kick found the head of Ben Tozer, but his effort flew just over the bar.

The Shots then had a couple of attacks over the next five minutes. The first was an over-the-top through ball from Oxlade-Chamberlain that nearly found Andrews, but Lainton was off his line quickly and got there first.

Kinsella then had a chance to put a cross into the danger area, and it almost found Andrews on the edge of the six-yard box, but once again Lainton was there to gather.

There was then an extended stoppage in play after a 50/50 between Andrews and Lainton saw the Wrexham keeper go down, and after close to ten minutes, he was back on his feet and able to continue.

The Welsh side were awarded a free-kick in a threatening position shortly after play resumed, but it didn’t make it past the Shots wall.

In the 40th minute, the visitors broke the deadlock. A long throw from Tozer was met by the head of Aaron Hayden, and his flicked effort found the back of the net.

And just four minutes later, Wrexham had the ball in the back of the net once again. A free-kick was delivered and, after the initial effort cannoned off the crossbar, the rebound was met by Harry Lennon who doubled his side’s lead.

Jordan Ponticelli almost added a third just a minute after when he found himself through on goal, but Laurie Walker got down well and managed to deny him from getting on the scoresheet.

Aldershot Town started the second half on the front foot, winning a free-kick three minutes after the restart. The delivery was flicked on and found its way to Andrews, but his powerful strike deflected off teammate Corey Jordan and out for a goal-kick.

But it was Wrexham who would get their third of the evening in the 58th minute, with Hosannah’s ball into the box finding Reece-Hall Johnson who tucked it away.

The Shots almost got one back quickly, but substitute goalkeeper Chris Dibble made a great double save, denying both Andrews and then Sylla.

And a minute later, the visitors got a fourth goal. A good ball from Jones found Jordan Ponticelli, and his effort sailed into the top right hand corner, leaving Walker with no chance.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Wrexham made it five. This time, it was Jordan Davies on the end of the cross, and his header found the back of the net.

Aldershot Town almost got a goal back a few minutes later. Once again, Corie Andrews had an opportunity to score, but the effort was deflected behind and the resulting corner came to nothing.

The Shots had their best chance of the game in the 79th minute, as Kodi Lyons-Foster managed to get on the end of a corner, but his header crashed against the bar and the danger was cleared.

The final chance of the game belonged to Lewis Kinsella, but his shot from distance flew wide of the target, and the referee’s whistle ended a disappointing evening for Aldershot Town.

The Shots are next in action on Saturday, when they take on Grimsby at The EBB Stadium.


Aldershot Town FC: 37 L Walker (G/K), 3 L Kinsella (C), 4 S Wagstaff, 6 K Lyons-Foster, 11 C Andrews, 12 C Oxlade-Chamberlain (A Whittingham 46’), 14 R Glover, 16 C Jordan, 18 M Sylla (T Willard 69’), 20 M Ndjoli (J Berkeley-Agyepong 61’), 24 J Vennings

Unused Subs: 1 M Walker (G/K), 39 J Gorman

Wrexham AFC: 1 R Lainton (G/K) (C Dibble 46’), 2 R Hall-Johnson (C Green 68’), 5 A Hayden, 6 B Tozer, 7 J Davies, 8 L Young (C), 12 D Jarvis, 17 B Hosannah, 19 J Ponticelli (D Angus 79’), 26 H Lennon, 30 J Jones

Unused Subs: 4 S Brisley, 11 L McAlinden