MATCH REPORT: Aldershot Town 0 Chesterfield FC 2 (H)

Two second half goals from Danny Rowe and Kabongo Tshimanga meant it wasn’t quite the start that Aldershot Town had hoped for to begin the new Vanarama National League campaign.

It was the Shots that got off to the better start, putting Chesterfield under pressure in the first few minutes, with a couple of half chances to go along with it.

But it was the Spireites who had the first good look at goal ten minutes in, a 20 yard effort from King forcing Walker into his first save of the afternoon.

Among the chances came yellow cards for both sides, with 3 players picking up bookings inside the first quarter of an hour.

It was the home side that continued to pile on the pressure, with a number of free-kicks and corners either lacking a good delivery, or only missing a final touch.

Just before the half hour mark, a cleverly worked Aldershot Town free-kick almost found the back of the net at the East Bank end, with Edser’s initial shot rebounding straight back to him and narrowly missing the top left hand corner at the second time of asking.

And just a few minutes later, Chesterfield had a chance of their own, as Tshimanga met the cross from Rowe but couldn’t quite get his header on target.

After almost being the provider of a goal, Rowe nearly had a goal for himself, with his free-kick from distance bouncing awkwardly in front of Walker, but the Shots keeper did well to hold onto the effort.

The visitors continued to pile on some pressure of their own, with another header, this time from Grimes, going just wide of the target.

After a quiet start to the second half from both teams, it was Chesterfield that thought they’d broke the deadlock after a low cross was met by Grimes at the back post, but the offside flag kept the score even.

And just a couple of minutes later there was another great chance for the Spireites, but Kabongo Tshimanga couldn’t beat Walker who parried it away well.

Immediately down the other end, Aldershot Town had a chance of their own. Kevin Lokko climbed highest to meet Kinsella’s corner, but his headed effort sailed just wide.

After a slow start to the half, chances were flying in at both ends. A good ball from Harris wasn’t quite met by Willard at one end, and 30 seconds later, Danny Rowe decided to try his luck from distance, but his well-struck effort went just wide of the post.

72 minutes in, the deadlock was finally broken. After King was brought down in the penalty area, Rowe stepped up and slotted the ball into the bottom corner, with a slight touch from an outstretched Walker not enough to prevent the goal.

And just 5 minutes later, Chesterfield doubled their lead, with Tshimanga getting on the end of the through ball, keeping his composure and capitalizing on the opportunity.

After a quiet final 10 minutes of regular time, Aldershot Town could have grabbed a consolation goal, but chances from Kinsella and Willard couldn’t quite beat Loach.

The Shots continue their Vanarama National League campaign next weekend when they make the short journey to face Boreham Wood.


Aldershot Town FC: 1 M Walker (G/K), 2 G Fowler (C Oxlade-Chamberlain 46’), 3 L Kinsella (C), 5 K Lokko, 6 K Lyons-Foster, 8 T Esder (E Watts 90’), 10 J Berkeley-Agyepong, 11 C Andrews (I Akanbi 73’), 22 G Phillips, 23 J Harris, 27 T Willard

Chesterfield FC: 1 S Loach (G/K), 3 C Miller, 4 M Oyeleke (S Khan 81’), 5 G Gunning (C), 6 L Maguire, 7 D Rowe, 8 C Weston, 10 L Mandeville (J Clarke 54’), 19 K Tshimanga, 20 J King (G Carline 76’), 22 J Grimes