Aldershot Town 0 Forest Green Rovers 4

by Alex Lambe

Four first half goals from Forest Green Rovers left the Shots shell-shocked, as they suffered their first home defeat of the season.

The home side managed to keep the visitors scoreless in the second half, but the game was all over by half-time.

Forest Green came firing out of the blocks in the opening exchanges, getting in to good attacking positions.

The deadlock was broken on 5 minutes. After the visitors’ initial attempt to get the ball in to the box had been blocked; Fabien Robert popped up to put away the rebound, driving the ball low past Jake Cole.

Minutes later Kieffer Moore doubled Forest Green’s goal tally as he latched on to a through ball from Rhys Murphy, firing his shot in to the bottom left-hand corner.

The Shots then began to find their feet, creating two good chances. The first came on 13 minutes as Shamir Fenelon span out of the tackle; before firing a powerful shot which forced Forest Green goalkeeper Sam Russell in to a good save. The second came on 16 minutes when Iffy Allen went very close; his shot striking the crossbar.

However, things soon took a turn for the worse for the home side when defender Will Evans was shown a red card on 17 minutes for an off the ball incident.

The visitors took advantage of the extra man on 26 minutes as Robert scored his second and his side’s third goal of the match; as he glided in to the box before driving a low shot past Cole.

The home side were creating chances; but weren’t clinical enough in front of goal to cause Forest Green any real problems.

Nick Arnold went close for the Shots in injury time at the end of the first half; as the defender made a great run in to the box before seeing his shot saved by Russell.

However, Forest Green struck another blow in the third minute of added time as Moore also grabbed his second of the match and his side’s fourth.

The second half was a much quieter affair. Forest Green took control of the match as they looked to close out the game.

The home side saw the number of chances in the second half restricted due to the well drilled defensive formation of the away side. Charlie Walker went close when he was put through on goal, but his shot was easily saved by Russell.

To their credit the Shots will be pleased with keeping the visitors scoreless in the second half. However, the damage was already done after a rampant first half performance from Forest Green.

ATFC: Cole, Arnold, Evans, Fenelon (Kellermann 25), McClure (Walker 57), Mensah, Alexander, Allen (Wakefield 48), Gallagher, Conroy, Reynolds ©

Subs: Rendell, Smith

FGR: Russell, Traore, Clough, Bennett, Carter (Kelly 70), Moore, Noble ©, Pinnock, Wishart, Robert (Chemlal 59), Murphy (Marsh-Brown 73)

Subs: Doidge, Racine